Ventnor : St Luke's Chapel, Royal National Hospital
Click or select any image to enlarge
These inscriptions record the memorials formerly in the Chapel of St Luke's, at the Royal National Hospital for Consumption, Ventnor.
The Hospital was closed in 1964, and the Hospital and Chapel buildings were almost completely demolished by 1969;
the Chapel windows were relocated to St Lawrence Church - see St Lawrence stained glass.
The Memorial plaques are now displayed in the Heritage Centre at Ventnor Botanic Garden. Some are still in storage awaiting
The Hospital was divided into separate blocks or houses, each named after their principal benefactor. A report of the opening
of the John Jones Hospital in 1887, names the houses as :
The Princess Louise Hospital (H.R.H. the Princess Louise, Marchioness of Lorne)
The Eversley Hospital (the Rt. Hon. Viscount Eversley)
Frederick Henry Leaf Hospital
The John Buckle Hospital
The Lady Martins' Hospital (two houses, as named by the wish of the donor Sir William Martins)
The Elizabeth Granville Hospital
The William Leaf Hospital
The Rimington Hospital
The Mary Ann Leicester Hospital
The John Minton Courtauld Hospital
The Samuel Courtauld Hospital
The William James and Esther Thompson Hospital
The Meyer Amschel De Rothschild Hospital
The Lady Agnes Byng Hospital (by desire of the donor, the Rt. Hon. the Earl of Stafford)
The Charles Stuart Hospital
The house 'in memory of C.A. and M.'
It seems as if at least one further house was erected :
The Burgoyne Hospital 1897
JOHN JONES HOSPITAL
Admission is gained by a large
entrance hall in which there is a tablet with the
following inscription :—'This house was erected
A.D. 1885-6 in grateful memory of John Jones,
Esq., of 95, Piccadily, London, who, by his will,
dated December 4, 1878, bequeathed the residue
of his estate to the Royal National Hospital to
consumption and diseases of the chest, Ventnor.'
[Isle of Wight County Press, Saturday July 9, 1887]
See plaque below for details of Peter Bond Burgoyne
ALLOWAY, John Arthur
JOHN ARTHUR ALLOWAY
A TRIBUTE OF LOVING REGARD FROM
THE BOARD OF MANAGEMENT IN REMEMBRANCE
OF FORTY YEARS SPENT IN WORK
FOR GOD AMONGST THE PATIENTS AND
STAFF OF THIS HOSPITAL
John Arthur Alloway was born on 18 June 1841 and baptised on 27 May 1844 at St Andrew's Church, Holborn, London.
His parents were John and Mary Alloway. [Ancestry : Baptismal records]
John Arthur Alloway was ordained Deacon in 1878, and Priest in 1879. He was Curate of All Saints Church, Godshill, from 1878 - 1883, before
his appointment as Chaplain to the RNH. [Ancestry : Crockford's Clerical Directory]
In 1911 the Revd John Arthur Alloway, with his wife Flora, and daughter Flora Maude, were resident at 'Filston',
Park Avenue, Ventnor. [Ancestry : Census Returns]
He died on 27 February 1927, at Ventnor [Ancestry : National Probate Calendar], and is buried at Ventnor Cemetery. [Quigley : Isle of Wight Cemeteries Index]
IN MEMORY OF
FOR MANY YEARS A MEMBER OF THE
BOARD OF MANAGEMENT OF THIS HOSPITAL
AND HONORARY TREASURER FROM 1921
TO 1925 WHO DIED JUNE 30TH 1926
ERECTED BY HIS COLLEAGUES AS A TRIBUTE OF
THEIR HIGH ESTEEM AND AFFECTION
Frederick Beddow was born in 1852, in Ilford, Essex. [FreeBMD]
In 1911 he was resident at 'Beauchamp', Niton, Isle of Wight. He was a Chartered Accountant. [Ancestry : Census Returns]
When he died at Fitzroy House, Fitzroy Square, London on 30 June 1926, his address was given as Rockmount, St Lawrence, Isle of Wight.
[Ancestry : National Probate Calendar]
BELL, John Hougham
JOHN HOUGHAM BELL
BORN July 13th 1845. Died July 8th 1910.
A member of the Board of
Management of this Hospital,
in whose loving memory
a bed has been endowed
in perpetuity by
SOPHIE E. BELL.
Born in Australia [Ancestry : 1901 Census, at Madeira Hall, Ventnor]
Address at time of death : Madeira Hall, Ventnor. Probate granted to Sophie Emily Bell, his widow. [Ancestry : National Probate Calendar] Sophie Bell died
in 1924 aged 78.
BURGOYNE, Peter Bond
PETER BOND BURGOYNE
A MEMBER OF THE BOARD OF
MANAGEMENT FROM 1892
TREASURER 1897 - 1900
CHAIRMAN 1901 - 1929
THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY HIS COLLEAGUES
IN LOVING REMEMBRANCE OF HIS FRIENDSHIP AND
Peter Bond Burgoyne was born in Dodbrook, Devon, in 1844, the son of John Trist Burgoyne. He was admitted as a Freeman of the
City of London in 1897. [Ancestry]
The 1911 Census lists him at Broadlands, Sunninghill Village, Berkshire, as a Vineyard Proprietor and Wine Merchant. [Ancestry : 1911 Census]
He died on 4 September 1929. His Probate value was in excess of £130,000 - over £7m at 2014 values. [Ancestry : National Probate Calendar]
From 1872, Peter Bond Burgoyne and Company acted as wine importers and agents for Tintara, later Australian, Vineyards Association which had been established by a group of Australian wine producers in 1871. Burgoyne and Company had offices and cellars at 50 Old Broad Street.
In January 1886 the company, by then described in directories as "Australian merchants and vineyard proprietors", moved to 6 Dowgate Hill with cellars at the Dowgate Vaults, Cannon Street. It also had premises at 146 Pelham Street (Spitalfields) and in Adelaide and Melbourne.
[AIM25 catalog online]
This Window is placed in the
Loving Remembrance of
Robert H. Hamilton
John J. Hamilton and
William S. Hamilton
By their affectionate Sister
Mary J. Hamilton Decr. 1873
This is one long plaque, photographed in 3 sections.
Robert Horatio Hamilton died in 1864 aged 63;
Robert H Hamilton, John J Hamilton and Mary J Hamilton, all unmarried, were shown as living at The Hall, Madeira Vale, Ventnor
in 1851. All were born in the West Indies. Robert Hamilton was a Retired Mexican merchant, John J Hamilton was
a Retired African Merchant. [Findmypast : 1851 Census]
By 1861, all three were living in High Street, Ventnor. Their place of birth is now given as Jamaica, and
Mary J Hamilton is an Annuitant paid from Railway shareholdings. [Findmypast : 1861 Census]
Mary Johnson Hamilton died in Kent on 14 Oct 1881.
[Findmypast : National Probate Calendar, 1881]
HASSALL, Arthur Hill
ARTHUR HILL HASSALL, M.D.
FOUNDER OF THE ROYAL
NATIONAL HOSPITAL FOR
ISLE OF WIGHT
Born 13 December 1817, Teddington, Middlesex; died 9 April 1894, San Remo, Italy.
See Wikipedia entry for full details of Arthur Hill Hassall
Arthur Hill Hassall is commemorated by a Ventnor Blue Plaque
at the Botanic Gardens itself.
LEAF, Edward Huntington
TO THE MEMORY OF
EDWARD HUNTINGTON LEAF
SON OF FREDERICK HENRY LEAF
WHO FOR A PERIOD OF THIRTY SIX YEARS GAVE HIS SERVICES TO THIS HOSPITAL
AS A MEMBER OF THE BOARD DURING WHICH PERIOD HE WAS ITS CHAIRMAN FOR NINETEEN YEARS
BORN 6TH JANUARY 1868 DIED 28TH APRIL 1956
THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY HIS FAMILY AND FRIENDS
"HIS LOYALTY HE KEPT. HIS LOVE. HIS ZEAL."
Edward Huntington Leaf was born 6 January 1868 in Streatham, Middlesex, and baptised 26 March 1868 at St Nicholas' Church, Brighton, Sussex.
His parents were Frederick Henry and Mary Anne Leaf. [Ancestry : Baptismal records]
In 1911 he was resident at 6 Airlie Gardens, Kensington, London and his profession was given as Electrical Engineer. [Ancestry : 1911 Census]
His address at his death was given as 6 Cottesmore Court, Stanford Road, Kensington, London. [Ancestry : National Probate Calendar]
A Life Presentation
GIVEN BY MARY W. MITCHELL
"IN REMEMBRANCE OF MY MOTHER"
OF MACROCARPA, VENTNOR
Mary Wilson Mitchell died in Ventnor on 19th June 1924 aged 85. She was born in Clapham in 1839, the daughter of
David Mitchell, a Wool Merchant, and his wife, Mary. The date on the plaque might indicate that her mother died in 1885, but
this has not been confirmed.
[Findmypast : National Probate Calendar, 1924]
'THESE MEMORIALS ...'
THESE MEMORIALS WERE
P. B. BURGOYNE ESQ.,
CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD OF
MANAGEMENT OF THIS HOSPITAL
See plaque above for details of Peter Bond Burgoyne
Credits : all photos by Jonyth Hill and all transcriptions by Janet Griffin; additional research by Geoff Allan