"The Church was commissioned by three sisters at a
cost of £9356 together with an endowment of £2000.
The three sisters, Miss Agnes Percy, Miss Louisa Julia Percy
and Mrs Ellen Thompson, were the daughters of the
, Bishop of Carlisle (1784-1856) and the granddaughters of the
Most Reverend Charles Manners-Sutton
(1755-1828) who was the
Archbishop of Canterbury from 1805 until his death. They were also
closely related to the Dukes of Northumberland." -
from Holy Trinity, Ventnor, A Guide, by Helen Slade, May 2012.
In 1851, Mrs Ellen Thompson, a widow, aged 35, and her sisters Agnes Percy, aged 40, and Louisa Julia Percy, aged 32, (Visitors) were
resident at Sea Cliff Cottage, Belgrave Road, Ventnor. All are shown as Annuitants.
In 1861, Agnes Percy, aged 51, Louisa Julia Percy, aged 42, and their sister Mrs Ellen Thompson, a widow, aged 45, (a Visitor) were
resident at Orchardleigh, Bonchurch. All are shown as Fundholders.