Northwood and Gurnard War Memorials History

The idea of a war memorial in the parish was first mooted in February 1919 and a committee was set up. By September it was agreed that a brass tablet should be placed in each of the six places of worship in the parish at a total cost of £250, although the final cost was much less at £168 5s 9d. A house-to-house collection was made which covered most of the cost and an order was placed with Mr Osborne of Ryde. The first two memorials were unveiled in January 1921 at the Primitive Methodist Church at Marks Corner and the Wesleyan Chapel in Pallance Road. These were followed by those at the Primitive Methodist Church in Gurnard and the Wesleyan Chapel in Horsebridge Hill in early February. The memorials in All Saints, Gurnard and St John the Baptist, Northwood were unveiled later in the month. Moving ceremonies were held in all the churches and it would appear that the Royal Ulster Rifles were stationed at Albany Barracks as buglers from the regiment played the Last Post at each service.

Reports of the unveiling ceremonies

All reports are taken with acknowledgement from the Isle of Wight County Press (IWCP), in editions dated January - February 1921.

23rd January 1921 - Primitive Methodist Church, Marks-corner, and Wesleyan Church, Pallance-road, Northwood.

(IWCP 29th January 1921)



30th January 1921 - Primitive Methodist Church, Gurnard.

(IWCP 5th February 1921)



6th February 1921 - Wesleyan Church, Horsebridge-hill (Noke Common).

(IWCP 12th February 1921)



13th February 1921 - All Saints' Church, Gurnard.

(IWCP 19th February 1921)











20th February 1921 - St John's Church, Northwood.

(IWCP 26th February 1921)







News

August 2017 : Recreated the functionality of the Gurnard and Northwood Memorial Project.



The Project
History of the Memorials
The Churches
The Men
Maps
Contact Hazel Pullen about this Project